Sunday, January 27, 2013

Solving a Mystery (from his caringbridge)

One of the issues I am having with Silas lately is discerning what is him having an off day and what is him having something that warrants a medical opinion. As his mom, I distinguish every cry. I know if it's hunger, fatigue, pain. But sometimes I'm not sure . Last night is a perfect example

We had already had our night feeding. The girls were in bed. Silas was asleep. All of a sudden, he woke up with this piercing cry. Because of his microcephaly there are times he is shrill. Last night was one of those. I tried intercepting the cry with cuddling, changing, feeding, patting, investigating for too tight clothing or wrapped fingers, toes, etc in mommy's hair. No luck. It just kept on. After 30 minutes I was concerned enough to look up the vitaline number and consider calling, and in an instant he was quiet and acting happy

What gives? Did he just have a bad day or is it something invincible causing him pain? I don't know. I think this may be my biggest struggle. Not knowing what is wrong with him in those moments and all of my soothing techniques failing to help him. There is nothing that saddens me more than watching my child(ren) cry and being unable to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment