Thursday, April 18, 2013

A New Face and An Unacceptable Plan

Prefacing this post by saying I like Dr Williams and believe he has done well by my son. This is not about him or his office.

Worst G.I. visit ever yesterday. I somehow ended up seeing his N.P. who came up with a whole new plan for my son, my son who is growing great. One good thing came of yesterday, someone finally listened to my issue with his reflux meds and we are having one compounded for us. I hope this will make a difference.

There were some not so nice plan changes too. They suggested Silas go to feeding therapy, breastfeed less, eat more, and sleep through the night. They want him on vitamins (okay, but who is going to remember all this?) And stooling every 3 days (primarily breastfed babies can go 7 days on average and longer for some because there is no by-product or waste from breastmilk) which requires yet another medicine.

So now we are getting complicated. He has breathing treatments 2 x per day, reflux meds, and now they are adding vitamins and stool aid. I do have 3 kids, a schedule to keep up with, and a life to live. If he honestly needed all these things, I would find a way but anyone who knows and sees my baby on a consistent basis can tell you he is happy, doing well, and growing great.

Perhaps the most aggravating and infuriating moment of the day came when my baby was paraded through the office in just his diaper, "this is what a well-fed breastfed baby looks like." Okay, my baby is beautiful and healthy. He has rolls, so smushy and we love him, all of him. But please don't show him around to all your colleagues and then tell me he is overweight for weight-to-length and that I need to decrease his milk intake. He is growing well, we are a short family. He will thin out as he becomes more mobile. He IS a GREAT example of a baby thriving who has every reason not to, and a story of a MOTHERS determination and heart to give her baby the very best. IF you knew our story, you would understand the miracle of my son and truly feel the pride and joy and thankfulness I feel when I look at his breastmilk-made rolls of love. He is succeeding at something everyone told us to give up! We are OVERCOMERS!


1 comment:

  1. Feeding therapy is a great suggestion! Why are they adding stool aid or you just have to give it to him if he hasn't pooped in 3 days? I totally don't get the breastfeeding less! That makes no sense! The only thing I can think of is that they want to make him hungrier so he'll try more solids? Still makes no sense. And sleeping through the night? Did you ask her if she had the baby magic wand of sleeping through the night? LOL Liv NEVER slept through the night and still doesn't and she's 15! LOL The vitamins are a good idea to at least try they may make him constipated tho. Maybe she was thinking that he needed less weight on him to make it easier on him to be mobile? I dunno. Those are just my thoughts and opinions. When you have a special needs child expect to have more meds added on, more therapies, and oh sometimes come across some not good doctors. I think out of the whole appt. The reflux med and feeding therapy is a plus! There is some positive there. **hugs** Give King Froggie a snuggly cuddly hug from me. Much love and always HOPE!!!

    ReplyDelete