Tuesday, April 9, 2013

You Cant Compare, My Love

One of the most difficult things of being the parent of a child developing a little slower than typical is that everywhere you go, some happy parent, proud grandma, or well-meaning friend wants to talk about milestones. And if that were not enough, as a mother you are surrounded by other mothers with other babies. I see friends' children eating textured food, crawling, pulling up on things, clapping their hands, reaching for mommy and daddy, saying mama and dada and it sometimes makes my heart ache. I know children grow and develop on their own. And I know that Silas is a little behind the rest because of his slower brain development. But I also know as a mother how beautiful those milestones are, and how my heart longs to share them with my friends rather than just nod and smile and say "soon.." I'm in no hurry to make my boy grow up, because I cherish every precious giggle, smile, coo, and snuggle. This phase passes so fast and you don't get it back.

Even if you are a little slower or a little tipsier, Silas, you are amazing and precious. You can't compare, my love. God hand-picked you just for us and you and your sisters bring us the greatest joy. Love you my handsome Frog Prince :)

No comments:

Post a Comment