Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Our Long Road to Breastfeeding: part 3 (from his caringbridge)

This entry is not meant to cause shame, guilt, or upset anyone. Some will think it controversial or absurd. Some will dismiss it as myth. But for those who wish to understand, appreciate, and hear the evidence and how it ties in with my son, please continue reading.

Total Takeover!

Silas learning to breastfeed, FINALLY!, was not the end-all of our issues. I still had to manually untuck his lip, work on finding the best position for him, nurse him very often. Funny thing about that, even though he was 3 months old when he learned to breastfeed, he nursed like a newborn! Why? Because developmentally that's exactly where his breastfeeding relationship was at. So we nursed every hour, on the hour. I untucked lips, did stretch exercises for his cheeks and top lip. Norma and I worked on proper positioning and we dealt with over active let down from the drastic sudden supply put on by this newly nursing baby. I was up most nights 4 and 5 times a night. I watched as diapers made transitions. We did transfer weights at Norma's office and marvelled. And most of all we hoped, crossed our fingers, and prayed this was the real deal, and vowed to conquer our struggles when they arose.

Enough of that, get to the good stuff already. I know. I will.

The 24 Hour High

Within the first 24 hours of Silas being solely on breastmilk, a drastic change occured. That lethargic baby started waking up. I remember the first time he "saw" something, really saw it, studied it, wanted to touch it. He was laying in the crib in the hospital room and there was a musical mobile. I remember how just the day before he had acted disinterested, but this time his hand went up and he opened his mouth. It was the first time I had seen him RESPOND to anything.

The lactation consultant at the hospital who ran the Mothers Milk club heard we were there, knew our struggles, and came by to visit with us. She walked into the room and I swear I had to pick her chin off the floor. "He doesn't even look like the same baby" she said. I would hear this comment from others in the days and weeks to come. I just smiled, amazed and hopeful.

Then There Were Two

Ever the realist, I kept waiting for the ship to sink, we were two days into our new found relationship, and I was still an emotional mess. This day brought with it two unique efforts and changes, small but beautiful. My son opened his fist. Since birth the majority of his life was spent with clenched fists. We didn't know why, but on day two of soley breastfeeding, his little fingers began to uncurl and open. And even more surprising, he noticed them for the first time! I sat and played with his hands, counting his fingers, singing to him, tickling his palm, and watching as he wrapped his wingers willingly around my own. Perfect progress..

And It Just Gets Better Everyday From There

As if those weren't enough proof that breastfeeding was making a drastic difference in my son's life and neurological health, in the next four weeks we caught these milestones on camera:

1. Lifted up Head and LOOKED around.
2. Put hands together.
3. Made eye contact.
4. Put hand out to touch mommy's face and hand.
5. Rigidness GONE.
6. SMILED!

The transformation was remarkable, mind-blowing, and miraculous. We may never know what finally clicked, but I am so grateful we persevered and can share this story, but wait- it's not over yet. If these milestones aren't enough evidence for the link between breastmilk and neurological development, tune in for part 4 of our story which includes growth records, continued milestones and a current photo of my beautiful exclusively breastfed baby boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment